Forex provides a large number of money-making ways of earning, including trading in currency pairs, indices, precious metals. CFDs are one of the most popular instruments.
CFD stands for contract for difference and is based on the underlying asset. These can be stocks, indices, as well as other commodities. When trading CFDs, a trader earns on price fluctuations, speculating on its rise or fall.
CFD trading works according to the following principle: you choose an asset and forecast in which direction the price will move. If your forecast turns out to be accurate, you will receive a profit. For example, you believe that the US Wall Street Index 30 Index (US30) will grow and enter the CFD contract for the price increase. If the transaction is closed in your favour, the index has risen, the broker pays the difference between the current price and the opening price.
A feature of CFD is that you do not trade the asset itself, but only its price. That is, the trader makes money on the price of the underlying asset, not having the asset itself.
A contract for difference is a derivative financial instrument that is based on the price change of the underlying asset. At the same time, it does not grant any rights to the ownership of this asset.
Historical notes. Contracts for difference appeared in England in the early 90s to avoid paying stamp duty. Since this way of making deals does not imply owning shares, CFDs were not subject to this tax. Hedge funds were the first who started using this instrument, and a little later it became available for retail traders. Back then, the trading involved only the purchase and sale of the difference in the stock values. Today, brokers offer CFD on almost all commodities.
Why is it profitable to trade CFD
- You can trade an asset without actually having it, and making a profit only on the price difference.
- CFD is a useful instrument not only for the long-term but also for short-term investments.
- You can earn on various assets: stocks, precious metals, indices.
- The term of the transaction is unlimited, the contract can be closed at any time.
- Since you can go either long or short, contracts for difference can be used for hedging.
- CFDs are traded on a marginal basis as well as currencies on Forex. To start trading, it is not necessary to have a big initial capital.